With a wide range of brands making swimming goggles, choosing a pair can be as difficult as choosing a new pair of shoes or new phone. And while cost is incomparable to shoes or phones, most regular swimmers know the frustrations of having a poor quality pair of goggles, needing to be fiddled and adjusted at every other turn.
So before diving into the best swimming goggles or the most aesthetic pair, take a moment to read our guide on how to choose the right pair of goggles for your swimming needs.
Types of Frames You Should Choose For Your Swimming Goggles
Leisure/Open Water Goggle
Also called frame goggles, these goggles are also marketed as leisure or fitness goggles. They are most suitable for beginners, triathletes, and intermediate swimmers. They are also suitable for open-water swimmers.
These goggles have flat lenses that are mounted into sockets in the frame with silicon gasket. The gasket has a waterproof seal. The nose bridge and frame are normally one unit. They have inflexible nose bridge, but some swimmer goggles do come with an interchangeable nose bridge that fits most.
The gasket protects your frame during rough conditions, but just like a water seal, it becomes ineffective over time. The price of open water goggle varies depending on the lens you choose.
Competition/Training Swimming Goggles
The goggles have larger and rounded shape and provide better visibility for most swimming conditions. It’s an ideal choice for triathlons and swimming competitions. Their sealing gaskets are smaller than that of leisure swimming goggles.
They look smaller and come with different lenses, e.g. dark, mirror, colored, or clear. Pool swimmers prefer those with tinted lenses.
Swedish Swimming Goggles
Also called competition or racing goggles, Swedish swimming goggles are quite smaller than other types of goggles and are also streamlined. This makes them ideal for swimming competitions in pools as they offer less resistance in the water.
These goggles come in parts, and you have to personally assemble them. They offer unparalleled visibility and are extremely durable.
Without Further Ado, Let’s Narrow Down To The Best Swimming Goggles On The Market;
#1 Speedo Vanquisher 2.0 Review
This is among the most popular goggles on the market. Having been made by a world leading swim products brand, Speedo, you can have a high degree of surety that Speedo Vanquisher 2.0 is of great quality. It gives 25 percent better peripheral vision as compared to standard swimming goggles.
Its lenses have mirror coating and wide panoramic view. They also offer UV protection and have an effective anti-fog treatment. It’s sleek, precision fit enables it to sit comfortably on most faces.
The pros of Speedo Vanquisher 2.0
- Have a double silicone head strap for easy fitting
- Lenses are anti-fog, UV protected, and are PVC free
- Its mirrored lenses reduces glare and light intensity
- They also have easily adjustable clip
- The goggles have interchangeable nosepiece to guarantee perfect fit
- The anti-fog property wears after some time
- The nose bridge is not flexible enough
#2 The Friendly Swede Swim Goggles Review
These are high-quality swim goggles made by Friendly Swede. They come in packs of two, meaning that you get double the offer. Although fogging is a something you cannot entirely avoid when swimming with your goggles on, this model has non-mirrored lenses that have anti-fog properties to minimize cases of fogging. Besides, they’re remarkably scratch-resistant and offer a reason for people who are sensitive to latex to be happy since they are latex-free.
These goggles offer a wide angled view for its users, making them an ideal choice for both indoor and outdoor swimming use. They feature a well-fitted silicon gasket that creates a comfortable, secure, and watertight seal around your eyes and nose to keep you protected against rough water.
The Pros of the Friendly Swede Swim Goggles
- They are of high-quality thanks to their solid construction
- They come in a set of two goggle pairs, making them a great bargain
- They are latex-free, which is a plus for people with latex sensitivity
- They offer wide angled paranoiac view
- They have a silicon gasket that creates secure and watertight seal around your eyes and nose
- They tend to fog after a while
- They also leak if care is not taken
#3 Aquasphere Polarized Kayenne Review
The Aquasphere Kayenne goggles are quite wide and weigh close to four ounces. They are made in Italy. Its ergonomic design promotes greater comfort. They also come with a patented curved Aqua Sphere Eye Protection technology for its lens.
These regular goggles aim to cater for all swimmers’ needs irrespective of whether you are swimming in the open water or swimming pool. It is an ideal product for rough-water swimmers and triathletes.
The Pros of the Aquasphere Polarized Kayenne
- Its silicon strap provides additional comfort and ease of use
- They are a comfortable fit thanks to the stabilizing nose bridge
- It’s anti-fog properties allow for clarity
- The Plexisol lens allows a 180-degree visibility
- The lenses offers UV protection
- These regular goggles come with quick-fit buckle thereby allowing for easy fitting, adjustment, and removal
- The lenses scratch easily
#4 Rosa Schleife Large Review
These swim goggles for kids, youth, and adult swimmers. The Lenses have anti-fog and anti-shatter properties for more clarity. The lenses have a mirror coating to offer protection against rough water. The Rosa Schleife Large swimming goggles have an underwater vision that’s exceptionally clear.
Its frame has an anti-leak design enabling the swimmer to maneuver in the water without getting inconvenienced by water getting into their goggles. The nose piece is also well-designed so that it can fit in virtually all facial shapes and sizes.
They are made of high-quality PVC and silicone for extra durability and also have a unique earplug attachment for more support.
The Pros of Rosa Schleife Large
- Its mirrored lenses have UV protection, and it also has anti-fog properties
- They have fixed earplug designing meaning that earplugs never get lost
- Its lenses are shatterproof
- These swimming goggles have ergonomic circle design that prevents water from entering your eyes and also reduces pressure
- The silicon strap adjustment helps prevent slippage
- Some people with relatively larger face may have little trouble with its nose-bridge
- The anti-fog property disappears with time
#5 Michael Phelps (MPS) XCEED Review
Michael Phelps (MPS) XCEED is among the best swimming goggles for any competition thanks to the fact that they have been made and used by world’s top swimmer. They have patented curved lens technology for effective swimming and also has a low profile to give you a wider and clearer view in any swimming competition.
The Pros of Michael Phelps (MPS) XCEED
- These goggles are made of premium materials to guarantee you the best performance
- They have ultra-soft gasket for tight seal and extra comfort
- They offer wider vision that can let you see walls and limits in the water without altering your head positions
- They also offer more stability and strength thanks to their semi-rigid exoskeleton
- Its seal is not very wide
- The mirrored lenses restricts it for outdoor swimming
#6 Arena Cobra Mirror Swim Goggle Review
These swimming goggles are among the highest rates and best swimming goggles. They are low profile and gives you greater visibility and clarity while swimming underwater. Its strap is made of 20 percent silicon while the lenses are made of 70 percent polycarbonate. They also have 10 percent thermoplastic elastomer seal. Its unique side bridge system gives you a secure fit. You can also easily adjust silicone straps to the level of comfort that you desire.
The Pros of Arena Cobra Mirror Swim Goggle
- They have lenses that are FINA approved and 100 percent PVC free
- They are made in Japan; thus you can be assured of quality
- They come with nose pieces
- The dual silicon strap can be adjusted easily guaranteeing comfort
#7 Aqua Sphere Vista Junior Review
Aqua Sphere Vista Junior is one of the best swimming goggles that is rated highly by its users. They are specifically designed for kids and teens, and true to their target users, they’ll make your kid the new swimmer on the block.
Its high rating and many positive reviews have enabled it to gain popularity among parents as they are assured that their kids’ eyes are well protected whenever they go into any water to swim. Aqua Sphere Vista Junior feature high-quality lenses that are designed to offer great visibility of up to 180-degrees in the water. They also offer maximum UV protection to kids.
Besides, the lenses have anti-fog properties as well as mirrored coating for enhanced durability and performance.
The Pros of Aqua Sphere Vista Junior
- They are a proven product for kids thanks to its high rating and positive reviews from users
- They have scratch resistant coating for enhanced durability and performance
- They are also attractive
- It has clear lenses that provide outstanding visibility regardless of whether you are swimming low light areas or indoors
- It uses hydrodynamic micro-frame that’s hypoallergenic
- Not a suitable product for adults
- The strap are not strong enough
#8 Aegend Clear Swimming Goggles Review
This is one of the best swimming goggles for adults, toddlers, and even triathletes. It’s very comfortable thanks to its flexible gasket and frame that’s made of silicon for maximum comfort. Its lenses are made of polycarbonate making them shatterproof. To enhance the swimming experience, the Aegend Clear Swimming Goggles has an effective anti-fog coating and great UV protection. Its lenses are also clear and have no artificial tints or colors.
These goggles are great for both indoor and outdoor swimming experience.
The pros of Aegend Clear Swimming Goggles
- They have a flexible silicone gasket and frame thereby providing unparalleled measure of comfort
- Its lenses are made of polycarbonate, hence are shatterproof
- It also has large clear light blue lenses that aid underwater visibility
- The clasp is easy to undo and close
- They tend to have inflexible nose bridge
- The lenses have no mirrored coating making it scratch easily
There you have them; high-quality swimming goggles. If you still haven’t decided on a suitable swimming goggles for your needs, here is a simple guide to guide your decision.
Factors To Consider When Buying The Right Swimming Goggles
There Major Aspects That You Need To Consider When Choosing a Pair of Swim Goggles;
1. The Fit
How well your pair of goggles fit depends on the seal of the goggles; not the strap. Therefore, always try your pair on before buying them, and if you are buying online, check the reviews of the pair and whether the retailer will offer a refund or not in case they do not fit well.
The most common type of goggles are the oval-shaped ones with a silicone seal. When you wear them, the seal offers a split second of suction- Anything more will unnecessarily be too tight, anything less will let in water to your eyes.
Check whether the goggles are too wide as they may leak water, especially if they are too extensive around the corners.
Competition swimming goggles have a sleeker design which minimizes drag through the water. These types tend to be less adjustable and therefore, it’s advisable that you try them before you buy them.
“Swedish” goggles have no gasket seal, and they tend to sit on the eye socket. They are a popular example of competitive swimming goggles.
Swimming masks offer a wide range of visions, thanks to their size. They are best suited to people swimming in open water or children.
You goggles might have a perfect seal around your eyes, but a lack of comfort around your nose area can be hugely irritating. When buying swimming goggles, check reviews to see whether they are too tight or have a tendency of rubbing against the bridge of your nose.
Many goggles come split straps for holding them in place- therefore, if you are a swift swimmer who turns quickly in water, ensure that you buy goggles with split straps.
3. The Sight
Virtually all goggles nowadays come with UV protection and anti-fog coating. If they don’t have an anti-fog coating, then you shouldn’t be paying much attention for them.
The Most Common Colors Of The Lens Are;
a) Clear– this is designed for overcast and low light conditions where swimmers need maximum visibility. It’s suited for indoor use.
b) Lilac– this is designed for the best contrast in green or blue backgrounds. It’s suited for outdoor and indoor use.
c) Smoke– these are designed to lower overall brightness and reduce light transmission. It’s best suited for outdoor swimming.
d) Blue– designed to allow a moderate entry of light into the eyes while maintaining glare in bright lights.
e) Mirrored– designed to reduce glare and brightness with tinted and mirrored coated lens.
The Final Say
Swimming is a fun activity for both kids and adults. However, you can make it more enjoyable if you have the right equipment. Swimming goggles are one of the items that will enhance not only your swimming experience but also your performance. The above swimming goggles are among the best in the market and will guarantee comfort and durability; it’s up to you to choose one of them.