Introduction To Best Booster Cables Available Today
Battery jumper cables are becoming an essential tool in any car emergency kit. In the past, this tool was only used for dealership, garages, and other automobiles activities but they have finally reached a perfect size that makes them a great addition to any car emergency kit. In addition to their compact size, battery jump starters are also coming at a reasonable price as well as great capabilities making them perfect for car owners.
Some jump starters are as lightweight as one pound and small in size. Most of the jump starters can also double as recharging devices with others having more than one socket where you can plug other items for recharging. This makes them a useful unit of your emergency kit for your car and home use. Manufacturers have improved jump starter units such that they now incorporate both battery chargers and jump starters. Before we narrow down to the best booster/jumper cables, let’s check the specifications of a good jump starter;
When looking for jumper starter units, you’ll need to keep an eye on several considerations. We will first look at the two biggest specifications to consider, and then we will discuss other specs later on in this guide;
*Two Major Specifications of a Good Jump Starter*
Jump Starter Power- your purpose for buying a jump starter determines the power level of the unit that you need. You need to ensure that you get a unit that has the necessary power (measured in amps). Each jump starter will have peak amps and cranking amps; the higher the cranking amps, the more powerful the unit is. A good unit should have at least 1200 amps and at least 225 cranking amps.
Your Vehicle Battery- what type of battery does your car has? Most vehicles come with a 12V battery, but there’re premium car models that have 6V batteries. You need to make sure that the jump starter has enough power to handle the type of battery that you have. Check your battery voltage so as to purchase the unit that best meets that requirement to ensure that you aren’t over purchasing.
With That In Mind, Let’s Check The Top Ranked Jump Starters In 2017.
#1 Jump-N-Carry JNC660 1700 Peak Amp 12-Volt Jump Starter Review
This jump starter is one of the most popular units and is portable enough to fit in your hand. It has a 46 inches cable that’ll reach the starting points of virtually all vehicles including light and medium duty trucks.
The Jump-N-Carry JNC660C provides a peak power of 1700 amps and 425 cranking amps making it potent enough for most of the vehicles. Weighing at only 18 pounds, this jump is light enough for one individual to handle it on their own. It also has rechargeable plugs, and therefore you can charge whatever you need. It has LED light to notify of the charging status, and therefore no guesswork is needed. This jump starter can stay connected to AC power without causing any effect.
Jump-N-Carry JNC660C is perfect for automotive service stations, personal use, auctions, dealerships, and more. The Hot Jaw clamps are industrial grade and are a perfect option for transferring optimal energy to your car for best results.
The Pros of Jump-N-Carry JNC660C
– The cable is industrial grade for better working
– It has a capacity of 1700 amps
– The unit is lightweight and portable
– The cable is too long
#2 Cartman Booster Cables 4 Gauge x 20Ft in Carry Bag Review
The Cartman 4 Gauge Booster Cable is one of the highest-rated and most popular booster cables out there and our 2nd best favorite. This booster cable features no-tangle cables that have T-Prene coating for easy storage and flexibility in all weather. The easy-to-use extra heavy-duty cables are among the strongest consumer grades available.
Its clamps have an ergonomic design and are triple-polarity marked. They can accommodate both side post and top post batteries. With 20 feet length, the Cartman 4 Gauge Booster Cable can jump start vehicles in various relative positions.
The Pros of Cartman 4 Gauge Booster Cable
– Has extra heavy-duty, 4-gauge, 20-foot, 400 Amp, booster cables that have lightweight and durable copper-clad aluminum construction
– Its cables are T-Prene coated, and therefore can remain flexible even at -40 degrees F. The T-Prene coating makes it easy to store and also resistant to moisture, motor oil, and chemicals
– It has ergonomically-designed clamps that are triple-polarity marked including UL indent and color coding stamped
– Its conducting surfaces are shielded to ensure safety
– It has a convenient carrying case
– The plastic protection gets torn after sometime thereby exposing the bare wires in the cable
#3 Schumacher PSJ-2212 DSR ProSeries 2200 Peak Amps Jump Starter and Portable Power Unit Review
The Schumacher PSJ-2212 DSR ProSeries features a 3 amp automatic built-in charger, a reverse hook-up alarm, 330 cranking amps, four gauge cables that measure 50 inches, has 2200 peak amps, and 275 cold cranking amps.
It’s a perfect portable power unit and jump starter for camping, dealing with dead batteries, tailgating get-togethers, power outages, and much more. You’ll never get stranded without a power source again. This unit will also help you charge or jump start a dead battery on your own as it’s highly portable.
The 22Ah high output AGM is industrial grade and can work for dealerships, service stations, auction houses, and more. Therefore, if you’re looking for something that’ll prevent you from being stranded in power outages or a parking lot with a dead battery, you’ll definitely need to check Schumacher PSJ-2212 DSR ProSeries.
The Pros of Schumacher PSJ-2212 DSR ProSeries
– It has high output AGM battery with 22Ah
– Has a 12V DC power outlet
– This jump starter has 2200 peak amp, 275 cold cranking amp, and 330 cranking amp
– It’s lightweight as it weighs 27 pounds
#4 Coleman Cable 08660 Heavy-Duty 4-Gauge Auto Battery Booster Cables with Polar Glo-Watt Clamps (20 Feet) Review
The Coleman Cable 08660 Heavy-Duty 4-Gauge features Polar-Glo Polarity Labels, no-tangle cables that are easy to use, ergonomically-designed clamps that lock in place on both side and top post batteries. It’s engineered and designed for cold and warm climates.
If you are looking for jumpers with unparalleled quality, then Coleman Cable 08660 Heavy-Duty 4-Gauge will serve your purpose. These jump starters have a thick gauge and are strongly built. The clamps are designed securely making them safe to use. Their Polar-Glo Polarity Labels makes them glow in the dark making it easier for you to identify positive and negative parts of the cables.
These jump starters are safe and easy to use for virtually all kinds of vehicles. The cable is lengthy enough to check any starting point of your car. Being made in the USA, you can be assured that Coleman Cable 08660 Heavy-Duty 4-Gauge quality is incredible.
The Pros of Coleman Cable 08660 Heavy-Duty 4-Gauge
– They have heavy-duty, 4-gauge cables that can channel up to 250 percent more power to your car battery than the standard 10-gauge cables. These are among the strongest consumer-grade cables that you can buy. They have been designed to be tough enough to withstand motor oil, moisture, rain, and chemicals
– It comes with 20-foot Road Power cables that are designed to easily reach from one car battery to another with the largest vehicles and even in most difficult situations
– The 4-gauge cables are among the strongest consumer grade available, and their heavy-duty nature makes them resist motor oil, chemicals, and rain
– It’s engineered for both cold and warm climates; Coleman Cable 08660 Heavy-Duty 4-Gauge stay flexible in withstanding very low temperatures down to -94 degrees F and also withstand heat
– These booster cables have a T-Prene coating that ensures flexibility when you are using them, and also makes them easy to store when you are done.
– No teeth on ends of clamps
– Clamps can twist while opening
#5 Capri Tools UL-Listed Booster Jumper Cables, 4 AWG, 20 ft long Review
The Capri Tools UL-Listed is a perfect safety tool for your car as it features heavy-duty, PVC-coated clamps that are designed to fit both top and side post batteries. This cable is long enough to reach your desired supplier and can even jump several vehicles behind. Its clamps have heavy-duty steel making them durable.
The presence of copper teeth makes current transmission swift and fast. The copper teeth are strong enough to hold on the terminals making it safer to use securely. The copper plated aluminum wire passes the current very fast making it a good conductor. This jump starter is the real deal for any car owner, and besides, it comes at affordable prices.
The Pros of Capri Tools UL-Listed
– They have heavy-duty booster cables with PVC-coated clamps that fit both side and top post batteries. The cable has a length of 20 feet
– It has 4-gauge copper-plated aluminum cables that can handle any booster situations, and the 20-foot length gives you enough flexibility to accommodate most jump start situations
– It also comes with a convenient storage bag and 10-year limited warranty
For great value and excellent performance, try Capri Tools UL-Listed.
#6 20 Foot Jumper Cables with Carry Bag 4 Gauge, 400 AMP Booster Cable Kit Review
The Iron Forge Tools has come up with another set of heavy-duty jumper cables that are durable, cost-effective, and easy to carry. They are designed to work flawlessly on cars, trucks, SUV’s, vans, and motorcycles. They are also tangle free, meaning that you won’t waste your precious time un-clumping them; it’s a simple straight cable with a length of 20-feet.
It comes with an easy to carry bag that allows you to store these cables in a rolled manner. These cables are rated to withstand up to 400 amps of power, meaning that it can handle any jump start need of any vehicle. When it comes to value, 20 Foot Jumper Cables by Iron Forge Tools can be classified as one of the best jumper cables you can get.
The pros of 20 Foot Jumper Cables by Iron Forge Tools
– It has a 4-gauge, 20-foot booster cables that are designed to be used for all weather use
– It has long 20-foot, tangle-free cables that have copper-clad aluminum coating for heavy-duty power carrying capabilities, lightweight use, and more flexible vehicle location.
– It also comes with a handy carrying case and limited lifetime replacement warranty
Any of these best jump starters will be a great addition to your car’s emergency kit and also in your garage as well. We have compiled a buyer’s guide that provides tips on choosing the right booster cables.
Factors To Consider When Researching and Buying a Jump Cable
At the beginning of this guide, we discussed two major factors; jump start power and vehicle battery. Other factors to consider include;
This is an important consideration since you’ll be using this unit for emergencies on the road, and therefore you want to be able to move with relative ease.
Jump starters come in different shapes, designs, styles, and color combinations. While appearance may not be the main factor in determining the unit to purchase, it plays a role especially when choosing the unit to check the specs among the ones displayed on a page
Jump starters come in different weights; you can get one with as little weight as one pound upward to 20 pounds or more for commercial starters. For those who want a unit that they can carry around with them, take weight into consideration.
4. Safety Features
Safety features come as a plus when it comes to equipment that’s designed to produce power. One safety feature to keep an eye on is auto shut down once the battery is fully charged.
5. Wire Gauge
Wire gauge is the thickness of the wire and the lower the number, the thicker the cable. A good cable needs to be heavy-duty to carry enough current flow to start the car. That’s why you need to check this consideration when shopping for a car jumper cable. However, all the picks on our list have a better wire gauge and therefore, you don’t need to worry about this factor.
The whole purpose of any jump starter is to take care of an unexpected battery failure and therefore, you’ll need a unit that’s reliable. Check out the customer reviews to get an idea of the experience of other unit users.
A quality jump start will have a reasonable warranty. Different manufacturers offer different warranty lengths and terms. Be sure to check the terms and conditions of the warranties.
8. Ease of use
Portable jump starters should be easy to use; you don’t have to be a car expert or mechanic to use your jump starter. Therefore, don’t go for complicated jump starters
The Bottom Line
Jumper cables are important when your car batteries suddenly stop working. They come in various lengths and gauges with each suited for various needs. We hope that you’ll find a suitable jumper cable from our list. You can make the comparison among all booster cables we have reviewed to pick the best jumper cable for your car.